Tuesday, February 9, 2010

So the adventure begins...

ISO 500 -- 24mm -- f/6.3 -- 1/40sec

My first post on my new blog! And what a better way than to start it out with quite possibly my favorite portrait that I've ever taken (01-30-10)? This is my friend Caleb Lazaro, he is an incredibly passionate believer who is seeking the Lord in ways outside of the American "norm". He has a huge heart for the poor, the destitute and the forsaken. I don't spend enough time with him as he is always busy with seminary, serving the least, and family. But I can't blame him.

My photo mentor, the talented Christina Dickson of www.brideinspired.com has been challenging me in things outside of the photographic realm, specifically: personal development. It has been awesome, and life changing even over the course of the past month and a half. I don't know that I've ever truly taken the time to think about who I am, and why. Sad seeing that I'll be 32 next week... This blog is dedicated to that personal development, specifically photography. (And writing development too because I love to write, I just don't do it frequently.)

About this photo:
I had dreamt this shot up for a couple of weeks after visiting Caleb at his work, City Rock (www.climbingtherock.com) in downtown Colorado Springs. I saw this galvanized steel sign in the climbing gym, and just knew I had to take this shot in front of it. I had nice window lighting, and I had Caleb stand about 6 feet away from the sign to add that extra "blur" from the depth of field. The ONLY thing I would have changed about this photo is I should have shot it straight on so the "rock" is all symmetrical, and there aren't any funky angles. I don't recall why I didn't shoot it straight on. I do recall trying to make sure I didn't get a bathroom sign in the shot on the right, and the Y from "city" on the left. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment